Wednesday, March 3, 2021

DNA evidence of Marie de la Chaumette in Hardin line, Pt 2

 (posted by Mark Todd)


DNA findings of the last decade have certainly revealed surprises for many test-takers--sometimes awkward and surprising but other times an opportunity to confirm connections when documentation and paper trails are slim or nonexistent.

The following post is for genealogists and descendants of immigrant ancestors Mark and Mary Hardin of Elk Run, Stafford County, Colony of Virginia, detailing my genetic genealogy DNA research that supports Mark Hardin was married to Marie Madeleine de la Chaumette. This post is also a direct citation link from the WikiTree profile listed at the bottom of the page, and is published in tandem with a separate narrative account of the story of these two ancestors, my fifth great-great grandparents on my maternal side.

DNA evidence for connection to Marie Madeleine de la Chaumette

My initial DNA research, all autosomal since Y-DNA doesn’t track matrilineal lines, produced a convincing number of shared identical DNA segments comparing uploaded DNA kits on GEDmatch.com from Hardin, de la Chaumette, and Shumate (anglicized name for Chaumette) descendants, and initially revealed three triangulated, identical DNA segments comparing me, a documented Mark Hardin descendant, with two direct documented descendants of Marie Madeleine's brother, Jean-Baptiste de la Chaumette. 

Subsequent research has so far additionally identified a total of twenty-one instances of identical triangulated DNA segments shared variously by--and in many instances, by multiples of--twenty-two living descendants of the Hardin, de la Chaumette, and Shumate lines. 

For the pool included in this research, I (a Hardin decendant) shared instances of two or more identical DNA segments  in common with many Chaumette/Shumate descendants, but of particular note were shared identical segments on

  • Chromosome 1 for five different Hardin/Chaumette/Shumate descendants,
  • Chromosome 6 for four different Hardin/Chaumette/Shumate descendants, 
  • Chromosome 10 for four different Hardin/Chaumette/Shumate descendants, and 
  • Chromosome 16 for four different Hardin/Chaumette/Shumate descendants

I plotted these segments using DNApainter and include a sample image below for Chromosome 16. This image reveals I share identical segments with two Chaumette/Shumate living descendants of the pool, a different identical segment with another descendant, and I share an identical segment with three others. (I have removed descendant names for this public posting. Contact me directly if you would like more particulars about any of the findings in this post.)

implied match to me for each painted segment

These findings corroborate Mary Hardin’s name at birth as Marie Madeleine de la Chaumette.

* * *

The next post will explore the dark legacy of my slaveholding ancestors in Colonial America  and the Antebellum South. Stayed tuned!

* * *

Mark and Kym Todd are volunteers on WikiTree, a project to create the entire human tree. Profiles, sources, and documents for key individuals described above are on WikiTree:

2 comments:

  1. Hi there cousin! I am a direct patrilineal descendant of Jean Baptiste de la Chaumette, my father, Max Madden, being the illegitimate son of one Earl James Shumate. My 40+year search for my father's father, was solved finally, by dna triangulation, of extensive dna testing. And that was, apparently not the end of my mystery, but the beginning, because the Chaumette line originates in North Africa, amongst the Amazigh/Berber people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, if I am correct, my paternal ancestor Mark Hardin Shumate, grandson of Jean Baptiste, married Deborah DeMarques, granddaughter of Mark Hardin and Marie Madeline dela Chaumette. Makes them second cousins, and me a descendant of both lines.

    ReplyDelete